Friday, August 25, 2023

Chain of Command - Battle of Saipan Revisted

Played another game of Chain of Command at my buddy's place down the road. I played a platoon of Japanese again - same right flank, but this time we used the long edge of the board as starting points.

We used laser lights to plot Jumping Off Points at the end of the Patrol phase. There were 3 American players and 2 Japanese players (me being one). The other 4 players are all pretty experienced with Chain of Command, and I think I have most of the most-basic rules down. Playing the overall same scenario a week or so ago helps too. This time we started where we left off the last game; that is, the Americans have crossed the small river and the Japanese in and around the bunker eliminated. The Japanese end of the table now included parts of the edge of the airfield.
Me taking a selfie on the Japanese right flank - the position I had my platoon occupy.
American troops moving up through tall grass. 2 of the 3 USMC Shermans starting on the road.
The Type 97 run by the other Japanese player, passing a hanger on the edge of the airfield.
The Type 95 light tank that I controlled. I ended up trying to make it past the road crossing, but ended up a target for the Shermans as well as a bazooka team. It ended up being able to make it behind an adjacent hootch and survived the game.
The American infantry advance bogged down and taking shock and casualties.
My Japanese platoon staying in cover. The mortar squad on the left managed to use a spotter with the mountain gun for targeting. That is, until the mountain gun was eventually taken out by Sherman tank and bazooka fire. They later used one of their other squads who took cover in one of the hootches to spot for them.
The American left flank. I managed to decimate the platoon facing mine with lucky shooting die rolls. The American player advanced into range (12") of my platoon in Overwatch. He actually did this to get our troops into action. As long as our troops are over 12" away in the woods they cannot been seen or targeted.
My Type 95 taking cover behind a hootch - the hootch itself was occupied by a squad from the other player's platoon.
The Japanese right flank in the woods having decimated the advancing American platoon. We called the game soon after this as one of the members had to report back to his command spouse. It was a bit too close to call, but eventually the Americans' superior fire power (3 Shermans) would've turned the tide. We plan on playing the tank engagement portion of this battle in the future - once enough Japanese tanks are acquired.

I had a great time with the game, again due to the other players being very experienced with the rules. Tomorrow, I'm hosting a small Rebels and Patriots game at a game day down in Olympia. Incidentally, the guys I played with today like TFL rules a lot, and are having a game day tomorrow up near Seattle for more Chain of Command and "O" Group games. The group I played with on Tuesday night like the Rampant-family rules - including Rebels and Patriots. The guys I play with on alternating Wednesdays like Saga. Most don't play the rules of the other groups - and almost all of them don't play (or like) Bolt Action and Black Powder! Go figure. Anwyay, I should feel fortunate to have such a variety of games to play. Until next time, thanks for stopping by and checking out the blog.

9 comments:

  1. Great looking game Dean and sounds like the Japanese were holding their own! I like CoC better than Black Powder for sure - never played Bolt Action but have seen it and it reminded me of 40k with WWII - its supposed to be skirmish level but has field artillery and 88mm Flak on the table firing at targets 30 or 40 inches away - not very realistic to my mind. Black Powder are average rules, I could play them if others wanted to, but again, some of the mechanics are too weird for my liking eg some units moving three times normal distance and others failing to activate at all for half the game! CoC are better than both, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your insight, Keith. The more I play CoC, the more I like it...even more than Bolt Action, as long as I'm playing with experienced CoC players. I'll probably keep hosting Black Powder and Bolt Action for convention groups, as they are a lot easier for new/first time players. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Interesting game, attempting to continue the situation from game to game helps keep decisions having consequences. Fascinating that you have groups with different tastes, local groups are slowly becoming increasingly better at playing, a,though most "new" players are at the Bolt Action/Black Powder stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great comment, Joe. Yes, it is quite interesting that there are groups of folks in my gaming circle that have fairly strong taste in rules. What's even more interesting is the main rules I started with, WAB, hasn't been played much, if at all, by most of these groups. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great fun game, I'm happy enough with Black powder and bolt action but if someone wanted to show me chain of command I'd give it a go, can't keep too many rulesets in my head these days!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I'm the same as you - that is, I still like BP & BA, and if it weren't for my buddies showing me the ropes for CoC, I'd never have gotten into it. Not even planning on picking up the rules (although my buddy once gave me a complete copy of the rules - I gave it to another buddy after skimming through it and getting bewildered). Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Nice write up Dean, I have combined elements of both rules sets, adding in force morale and variable movement along with a two tiffin dice to the Bolt Action Bag has made for a better gaming experience in my view. It won't be for the more traditional Bolt Action player who is wedded to the rules and force selections but works for my group. Cheers Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Stu! Yes, I was considering doing some sort of mish-mash too. I think the Patrol phase is pretty interesting. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. Happy to send you my thoughts Dean if it helps.

      Delete