Sunday, August 13, 2023

Brigade Games Napoleon on a Camel and Nizam I-Cedid Foot

These are part of an order I just received from Brigade Games. This was only my second order from them in over 10 years. I also ordered some F&IW figures too - for a later project. Another first is the camel - never painted one before. It's a nice sculpt and with Napoleon sitting atop it makes it an Egyptian Campaign must-have (at least for me). The Ottoman infantry represent the troops that the Sultan at the time intended to be part of modernizing his army - the Nizam I-Cedid. They actually used French muskets - much to the chagrin of the British, and were supposedly trained in Western tactics and drills. The Sultan wanted them to take the place of the Janissaries, who had fallen out of favor over the years.

The figures will be part of a Rebels and Patriots playtest later this week. Hopefully the playtest will work out so I can host it at a game day later this month. I had originally volunteered to host a Bolt Action game, but most of the folks around here aren't really into Bolt Action - or may like other rules more. Besides I haven't played enough Rebels and Patriots and want to get more experience with it.
As far as the figures go, I'm really impressed with them and plan to order from Brigade Games more int the future. I received the order after only 8 days from when I placed the order - granted I'm in the US, but clear across the country in WA State.
I plan to have the capture of Napoleon the victory condition for the Ottomans. Maybe he gets lost on his own after suffering from heat exhaustion.
Below is a comparison shot - left to right: TAG Janissary, Brigade Games Nizam I-Cedid, and Perry French in Kleber uniform.
Here's  the rest of the Brigade Games order from their F&IW range - also great figures. They're replacements for the Foundry, Redoubt, and other F&IW figures I sold off years ago. Plan to use them with Rebels and Patriots too.
I'm expecting a box of Fireforge Medieval Archers tomorrow. Plan to paint up a unit of Levy Bows for an Age of Crusades Polish warband with them. Until next time, thanks for stopping by and wishing you all the best.

16 comments:

  1. Colorful work, Dean! Those Ottomans look tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. I think these Ottomans may be even nicer than the recently released Perry ones...or very comparable. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you very much again, Michal! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Napoleon on the camel is a beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the kind words, Norm. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. They look brilliant Dean. This is a campaign I've always wanted to do myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Ray! I like your Caribbean stuff too. Besides Brigade Games, Perry has started up an Ottoman range too. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. All very nice indeed; Ottomans, now there's a Napoleonic army I DON'T have! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter. Lots of choices forf Ottomans - especially now that the Perrys have started a range too. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Very nice figures Dean and painted beautifully, of course! Brigade Games have LOTS of very nice figures - my only hesitation with them nowadays are their international postage rates - used to be, if you bought $125 worth of figures, postage was a flat $15 - but Lon got rid of that deal and I dont think the new "international special rate" is all that special at all - shame, as there are plenty of figures I would like to buy off Brigade.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. Yes, I had been hesitant to order due to their postage - although I am in the US. I actually missed seeing the free US postage for orders $175 or over - I ordered about $130 worth of stuff and paid postage - I should've just order a few more stuff for the free postage. However, I think me paying for the postage (which I did get a small discount for) made it arrive quicker. I think the free postage would've taken longer as their site says it will look for the cheapest way to send the order with free postage. But I agree - postage is always a major consideration. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. Yeah - its overseas postage that is a real bugger now Dean - often, it can increase the cost by 50% - and it is so inconsistent, some companies will charge a perfectly reasonable fee of £8 or £10 for £60 of figures (UK obviously) and others will be £25 for the same number of figures, 3D printed off eBay are the worst - some great looking figures and they might be US$5 each - but postage to NZ - for a single "plastic" figure - can be $18 or $20!

      Delete
  7. Excellent brushwork as usual Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite a nice force, great brushwork. I think the Rebel & Redcoat rules will work out for Egypt. The Brigade figures are nice and they certainly will work with the Perry's releases. Looks like you are getting some good games in now that your schedule is better.

    ReplyDelete