Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Battle of Bergisel 1809 - Black Powder

Now that I'm retired and have no excuse to game midweek, played a great Black Powder game at my buddy's place. A great bunch of folks who meet regularly on Tuesday evenings - starting at 6:00pm. They play a variety of games, including Rebels and Patriots and Xenos Rampant. Actually, they don't usually place Black Powder unless someone like my buddy (or me in the past) host it. The scenario is based upon the Batttle of Bergisel in 1809. My buddy who hosted it has a ton of  Bavarian, Austrian, and Tyrolean figures and terrain for the 1809 Campaign. It's pretty much his focus for Napoleonics. He has some ancestral roots with the area, and has visited the area many times since he was stationed in Germany for many years. I ran a Tyrolean "brigade" on our right flank. My units consisted of two Shurtzen battalions, a Landstrum battalion, and a light cannon. We played about five or six turns, which I managed to take out a Bavarian infantry battalion and Chevauleger squadron by lucky die rolls in firing and combat. The center and our left flank were a bit different with the Bavarians taking our several of the Tyrolean units. When we ended the game, we called it a slight Bavarian victory. We may play another round in the future where we left off - in fact, we may try to use Rebels and Patriots for this. Hope you enjoy the pictures of the impressive game table and figures my buddy put out.







Until next time, thanks for dropping by - oh, and I will be hosting a Rebels and Patriots Napoleon in Egypt game this weekend at a game day. Wishing you the best!

15 comments:

  1. Image six looks like a serious bunch, Dean! Lovely looking table, the mountainous hills are particularly impressive, as are the various figures in use. Good luck in the Middle East at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. Yes, I normally don't take pics of the players, but it was a great shot showing the whole table as well as the room decor. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Good looking game Dean …retirement is looking good👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks a great game Dean, like Keith above, I do like the mountain terrain, it looks very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray! All the terrain was scratch-built by my buddy; he did use model railroad kits for most of the buildings too. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal! It was a nice gathering and game. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Good quality time with friends and a nice table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Norm! Not only good gaming with good people, my buddy's place is only about 10 minutes from my place. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Dean, I see you are using your time wisely. Great looking game. The mountain terrain, as Keith mentioned, is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. In fact, I have a Chain of Command Saipan game again tomorrow (Friday), and I host a Rebels and Patriots games on Saturday! :) Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Great looking game I'm painting up a Faller model railway church for the 1809 campaign myself at the moment, sounds like you did well in what has to be a tough game for the Tyroleans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I bet you and my buddy would enjoy gaming the 1809 Campaign together. I think it's his only focus for Napoleonics. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Your friend really put up a splendid table there Dean. Must have been a great game. Tyrol is a splendid region but it's not one you want to tussle with a bunch of vengeful locals. The valley floors will afford some flat decent terrain in places but the rest is incredibly rough and difficult to traverse with heavy woods and unforgiving slopes on the sides of every valley. Not ideal !

    ReplyDelete