Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Repro British Pattern 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre

I really should be finishing up the last unit of cavalry - British Light Dragoons, no less. However, a reproduction Pattern 1786 Light Cavalry Sabre made by Cold Steel arrived on my doorstep today. The sword was designed with the help of the great British cavalry commander, General Le Marchant after his experience in the Flanders Campaign as a young officer.
Who said you need a big table for Black Powder? Actually, just a photo op, but the 5x6' table will help me decide on what units to use at the game day next Saturday at Fort Steilacoom.
An all-metal scabbard would've been more authentic, but the vendor I ordered this from didn't carry those anymore.

Well, thank you for allowing me to indulge myself (yet again). Kindest regards to you all; and the next post should be the completed Light Dragoon (wielding the Pattern 1796).

19 comments:

  1. Wooow!!!I always admire your preparation for the game! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal. It's a good thing got the figures and terrain out as the game day is less than 2 weeks out and I've yet to come up with the scenario! :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. You crack me up, is that a t-shirt with a braided print on it? The shako is it a replica of the Prussian Hussars?

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Yes, the t-shirt has a nicely printed braid image. The shako is an ebay purchase - a cheap ($10) marching band cap - I added the skull & crossbones from another ebay purchase - only $3.00 made in China - supposedly made for motorcycles or cars! :) Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Very impressive Dean, you are better off with a non metal scabbard. The men used to complain it blunted the blade with use, plus they apparently rattled when on patrol. They are an evil weapon and Marchant knew his stuff with the design of the curved blade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the info and kind words, Robbie. To be honest the black leather with metal fittings is quite attractive. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Nice looking Napoleonics,1:1 and 28mm!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I like to wear appropriate headgear when hosting games at our big annual convention. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Brilliant! That photo of you and your troops made my day! :-) A fine looking set of armies you have there Dean. I have to say that the sword is awesome! I have no doubt that your troops will serve you well in your game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jason. Yes, the sword has a deadly elegant shape to it - and not too heavy. It definitely is a chopper. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. If not, “off with their heads!”

      Delete
  6. Great stuff Dean. Hope you get your scenario sorted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much, Scrivs. I think I may use one of the scenarios in the Peninsular supplement. Best, Dean

      Delete
  7. You are a hoot, Dean! A black & white photo would look very cool, I think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for the idea, Jonathan. I may have to try that. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Impressive!! Lol! The sabre addition is great!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful piece; needs the sword belt to go with it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Gents! It's a nice weapon to have around. :) Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete