Saturday, September 15, 2018

Black Powder Refresher at Fix Bayonet Game Day

Just got back from another wonderful Fix Bayonet game day held at quaint and historic Fort Steilacoom. One of the local gamers is part of the historical society that supports the fort. He's been hosting this game day for several years now. In fact, when I pulled up this morning, his dad was towing away a Civil War era howitzer for a display at another event. It was great seeing folks who I hadn't seen since Enfilade in May. But, it's like I just saw them yesterday, as I've known them for about 10 years now. It was great to host a Black Powder game again - the first time since 2012 when I hosted a large Salamanca game at Enfilade. Luckily one of the players is very experienced with Black Powder and he helped clarify a lot of questions for the other five players - all of whom were either inexperienced or hadn't played the rules in a long time too. Anyway, here are some images of the games today.
British right holding on to the bridge which was worth 5 victory points. The game ended up a tie with both the French and British occupying their respective built up areas and contesting the bridge.
The French line from the left. The smaller units made up of 4 cavalry and 16 foot worked well for the 6 players on a 5x6' table - along with 2/3rd's movement and ranges.
A very tasteful looking AWI Sharp Practice 2 game hosted by Mitch B. - here's his blog: West Sound Warriors.
The "good guys" on Mitch's table.
Action during the AWI SP2 game.
An interesting looking Song of Drums and Tomahawks game run by Kevin S. and David S. Here are their respective blogs - A Gamer's Tale and I Live With Cats.
A Star Wars Armada game run by Scott M.
Great looking hand-painted 15mm armor by the host, Lawrence B. - in a What A Tanker game.
And last but not least, I picked up all these nicely illustrated books for $10 from Mark W.  Mark is a retired educator and brought boxes of books -many free with a $1 donation to the fort. Again, it was great to see gamer buddies I don't see very often and also refreshing myself with Black Powder again. Until next time, happy gaming and/or painting!

25 comments:

  1. It looks like your game was a great success Dean! It certainly looks fun.
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason. Yes, I think it went very well, but I may be biased! :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Good gaming with good friends, that is the life! Your two French uniform books look very interesting. Do you have a new project planned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. Nothing just yet, but I've always liked the red-trousered 2nd/3rd Empire French uniforms. All three books are profusely illustrated with color plates, the best kind of "reading" for me! :) Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. A day of quality gaming time, what's not to like :) Enjoyed seeing your BP game, the second edition rules are out soon and I hope the verbiage changes to openly embracing the smaller game instead of the 'we all have 12' x 6' tables' nonsense.


    That 15mm armour does look rather nice, I thought it was a 20mm game at first look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I guess I'll be getting the 2nd Ed BP too; it'll be interesting to see what "changes" have been made. Oh, and I think it was 15mm, it could've been 20mm. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Michal. Good games with good folks. Best, Dean

      Delete
  5. Dean, your efforts have been well rewarded and the final game looks great.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross. It played out very well. In fact, the one experienced BP player said he thought I had too few infantry at first, but in the end he said the scenario played out very well - very balanced. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you, Phil. The GM's, myself included, love hosting games, so we put a lot of TLC into them. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. It had to be an excellent day, so many great games. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bartek. A fairly small venue (only about 5-6 tables in two periods), but well attended with a great group of buddies. I look forward to it after our big convention (Enfilade!) in May. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Great-looking game.

    One of these days I need to make it down there for this event...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be wonderful, Greg! I hope you do someday. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Fran. Great to see you back blogging - looking forward to seeing those new projects too.

      Delete
  10. Looks good, and glad you had a great time. I see Wizardkraft terrain on your table, and the Song of Drums and Tomahawks one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They have a vendor table at Enfilade. Got a great deal on them a few years ago. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Your game looks great and sounds like fun, some nice other games there and always good to get some books!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Iain. Considering there were 6 players, only one of which was experienced in the rules, and played on a small (for Black Powder) table, I think it actually played out better than expected - but I might be biased Lol! Oh, and I love uniform books with lots of color plates. Very nice score. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Thanks for hosting Dean! I had an enjoyable time--valiantly holding the bridge against the French hordes. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Ted! Hope the game help flesh out the rules a bit for you. And again, big thanks for the casualty figs! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete