Saturday, August 6, 2016

Poseidon's Warriors - Play Tested

What's this?! A gaming post, seriously?! Yes, it is :) Anyway, with the help of my gaming buddy and retired AF Tactical Air Controller, Ted H. we finally got to play test Poseidon's Warriors written by John Lambshead. Ted brought over a fine sea mat and coastline terrain which suited the Channel Dash scenario rather well. Being our first time playing the rules we of course got a few things off - like not realizing until about turn 8 that the Operational phase passed back and forth between opposing fleet squadrons. We didn't use the Artillery rules and just concentrated on Ramming and Oar Strikes. We also didn't try out any of the Advanced Rules such as Corvus, Leaders and Towers, etc. The rules are very simple with very little chart referencing. Anyway, Ted won the battle as I failed my Morale check after my fleet's flagship had taken part in a second combat. Ted passed his Morale check having lost a quarter of his fleet.
Ted's fleet in nice line ahead formation at the start of the game. Those are his little islands on his nice sea mat.
Ted's fleet now mostly in line abreast formation - looking for a fight.

My fleet trying to figure out what to do with the islands in the channel.
Ted's fleet blocking access to the sea in line abreast. One of my trireme squadrons having turned 180 degrees away from the enemy.
Having "lured" Ted's fleet into the tighter confines of the channel behind the little islands, one of my trireme squadrons (top of the photo) has Rammed some of his triremes. The rules allow for bow rams to be fought simultaneously. My fleet flagship has also Rammed one of Ted's triremes. Ted suffered the worse and lost several of his triremes. My flag ship suffered one Hull point loss.
Another view of the turn with my triremes and flag ship Ramming some of Ted's ships.
My flag ship completing a successful Oar Strike against one of Ted's trireme - actually the sole-surviving one from the squadron which fought in the previous turn.
Here's where the battle turned. Two of Ted's Quadriremes were able to Ram my flag ship, which later failed its Morale save and ended the game.
 These rules are very fast playing, and with quite brutal combat resolution. I plan to try out the Artillery rules as well as some of the Advanced rules the next time.

40 comments:

  1. Nice looking game Dean. I'm interested to see how it plays when you add in some of the extra rules. Nice mini's too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the visit and nice words, Nate! Warm Regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Hello again Dean!
    Present game is veeeery interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Michal for the visit and nice comment! Best, Dean

      Delete
  3. Great to see a battle report on your blog Dean, it looked a great game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ray. It's been a long time since I had gotten a game on. It was a nice return. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see you posting Dean and what a great report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael, for your kind thoughts and words. Yes, I've been a bit distracted from gaming and painting. I've actually started back trying to play guitar :)! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you much, Christopher. Ted's gaming mat really made it visually appealing too! Best, Dean

      Delete
  6. That looks like fun Dean.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Stu! It was a nice return to gaming. Regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Fran! I'm glad to hear you guys liked it too. Best, Dean

      Delete
  8. Beautiful looking game. That mat is terrific! I just bought the rules but have yet to have a game. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bill! The rules may be too simple for some, but Simple is my middle name :) Anyway, I see no reason why house-rules couldn't be added - such as wind direction for sailing craft (like cargo vessels). Ted said he picked up the mat at The Game Matrix. It was virgin until yesterday! :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Simple is one of my names too but I can't remember which one anymore. I wonder if a trip to The Game Matrix in search of another such mat would be worthwhile?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mat was $95, plus tax at TGM. Expensive, but since I like to "think cinematically," it was worth it for me.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ted. If you don't mind me asking can you list the mat's dimensions? Also, did you have to special order or was it on the shelf?

      Delete
    3. You're welcome! The mat is 6' x 4', and as Dean commented is of the same material as a mouse pad. The rubber back keeps it from sliding around on the table, especially plastic banquet tables that Dean, and I (and probably every other gamer) has. I bought it off-the-shelf. But the company that makes this, and other mats is called "Frontline Gaming." They have a ".org" website and this product is called the "Ocean F.A.T Mat.

      Delete
  10. interesting and fun looking game Dean! I must check it out too! thanks for sharing...

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. That mat is really eye-catching and adds flavor to the naval game. Best, Dean

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the post and game report. Interested in this rule set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Question: If one were to start sourcing models for this game is there a suggested scale or even a brand?

      Delete
    2. Greetings, Gabe. 1/1200th is the suggested scale, but you can always size up or down with some mods in movement distances. In fact, I see no issue converting to the use of a hex mat too. This all said, the rules may not be to the tastes for all - particularly those who like a lot of detail - then again, I have added the Advanced rules yet. At under $20 there isn't too much risk involved. Regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Jealous! Looks like fun way to spend an afternoon. I had to look closer at first picture as I thought it was a cut and paste, it was just the colors playing tricks on my eyes.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks a lot, Kevin! Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. Thanks Dean: For a great afternoon, your compliments about my terrain pieces, this write-up and your pictures. When I get around to writing up my blog post, I'll be sure to link it with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your great insight into the game, not to mention the terrain.I trust your review will be more comprehensive, to include any issues we may have encountered. Best Dean

      Delete
  14. Great looking game. It makes me feel a bit nostalgic for Man O War!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simon! Yes, I bet that beautiful mat would be great for any naval game. Best, Dean

      Delete
  15. Great looking game Dean! I'm keen to try these out myself but will have to order more Langton ships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Mike. The sea mat really enhanced the look of the game. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  16. Ships and islands look very nice, great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an epic struggle! I see you're deploying Themistocles' stratagem of the 'closed waters' - get your opponent into the channel and they are yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ev! I have to admit, my "strategy" was more reactive than with any forethought :) Thanks for the visit and nice comments. Best, Dean

      Delete
  18. Hi Dean, long time no post. Hope all is well with you. Best wishes, Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Aaron. Thanks for the nice thoughts. Yes, I'm doing fine, just pursuing other interests at the moment. I think I'll post something about it to let all know all is well. Dean

      Delete