Friday, July 8, 2016

Tosa Clan - Boshin War

Pardon my indulgence, but just a little goofing around with a pair of matching swords - katana and wakizashi, and a $6.00 synthetic "Tina Turner" wig standing in for a red yak haired Shaguma wig.
Haven't picked up a paint brush in a long time, but do plan on hosting a game soon. I may give Poseidon's Warriors a try - but need to find a couple of play-testers. I plan to just GM (i.e. read off the rules while they're being played by others). Anyway, here are a couple more shots of the Tosa guy.
The repro blades are unsharpened and can be used for practice, or for chasing Trick or Treaters away.
The painting below shows shaguma-wearing Tosa samurai at the Battle of Ueno Temple during the Boshin War.
A Boshin War period samurai with a yak hair wig - can't tell what color the hair is, but the Tosa's were red, the Chosu's white and the Satsuma's black.
And everyone's favorite samurai wearing one.
So much for now - apologies again for nothing new on the painting front.

Edit: added shot showing the katana and wakizashi - along with a tanto, tachi and bokken.
Also, an extremely rare Shaguma dog.

34 comments:

  1. That's a pretty cool get up. Color me impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou very much, Christopher. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. You look MARVELOUS! Love the red wig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks again, Jonathan! Warm regards Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and visit again. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Tina wouldn't mind you using her wig for action shots like these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks again, Ray. Yes, this guy could've been an extra at Thunder Dome. :) Best, Dean

      Delete
  5. That hair-do just about does the trick mate! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does, doesn't! Thank you for the visit and nice comment. Regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I had hoped you'd approve, Jose! Your miniatures and blog continues to be very inspirational! Best, Dean

      Delete
  7. Very cool pics fella. Nice hair do it reminded me of Rod Stewart a bit at first for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Simon, I suppose those yak-haired samurai were the rockers of their time too :) Regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you kindly as always, Rodger. Best, Dean

      Delete
  9. Cool! .... Oh I see, your dressing up to put fear on your wargaming buddies during table top games at your club! as you did wearing your medieval armor outfit!... :o)p

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks, Phil. I have to admit that I've always liked wearing armor and such - when I was a kid growing up in Hawaii, I used to make Hoplite armor (best I could anyway) out of sheets of cardboard my mom would bring home from her work. :) Still crazy after all these years!

      Delete
  10. Very good Dean! Nice to see your 1:1 scale hobby:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Michal! Appreciate your visits and kind words as always. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. For a moment there I thought you were Toshire Mifune himself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Neil! Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. "Beyond Thunderdome" impressed!!!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thank you kindly, Kevin. Regards, Dean

      Delete
  14. I thought you had started a punk rock band for a second.

    Shaguma dogs are my favorite pokemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, James! Yes, that's my next project - just need to learn how to play the guitar :) Great to hear from you and hope all the best to you! Dean

      Delete
  15. Wonderful, you are clearly having far too much fun Dean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael. Yes, I am finding this somewhat satisfying - it's seems sort of an artistic expression for me - a release :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  16. Alright so I get the wig... just don't pull out a purse or heels and I won't laugh. Nice swords.

    ReplyDelete