Monday, February 12, 2024

Old Glory Ashigaru Yari - WIP

Finished the block/base painting. However, I have to finally get another can of Minwax as the one I got from a buddy a few years ago has finally "died." I had tried to keep it on life-support by adding paint thinner to it, but as you can see it's gelled and cannot be revived. Hopefully, when I go to the neighborhood Ace Hardware, they'll have a can. BTW, I just checked Amazon and they are "temporarily out of stock" of this stain.

Minwax past it's normal life-expectancy.
I should add that these ashigaru will join the ones previously painted to boslter the Japanese forces for a revist of the Imjin War. A couple of my buddies said they will be sending me some spare sashimono from the old Wargames Factory (now Warlord Games) sprues, to add to the back of these figures. Still looking for a few more of them, though.
The yari are plastic broom bristles. Used a hand drill to make holes in their hands for the yari.

Thanks for stopping by again, and wishing you all the best.

12 comments:

  1. Stage one of the painting looks good Dean - and interesting to see the much-mentioned Mini Wax stain - that's a big tin/can - if you could keep it from solidifying, one can would possibly last a wargamer a decade or more, by the look of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. This particular can was a 1/2 pint my buddy gave me a few years ago. It did get a lot of mileage - several hundred figures or so. It was actually already not as effective the last time I used it, a few months ago. Adding thinner only works for so long. The hardest thing is keeping the seal airtight between uses. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Wow impressive work Dean!
    It's always difficult when our favourite hobby paints and accessories expire and we have to replace them. I have an acrylic fast drying gloss varnish that I use; the chain has recently gone under and a frantic search of branches failed to turn any up. I was rescued by eBay when I found some so stocked up "just in case"!
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neil! I just checked a few local Ace Hardware stores - they were out of Tudor Satin. I ordered a can from Amazon, but the delivery is in a few weeks due to stockage. I did pick up a can of Krylon Crystal Flat spray at the Ace store though. This is the only flat/matte spray I can depend on for a flat finish. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Minwax is a pretty good brand, as long as you can find the color you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. The only color I've found that works well is Tudor Satin. The one that I've only been able to find at Ace Hardware stores - when in stock. Walmart and all the other big hardware stores never stock that particular shade, for some reason. I had to resort to ordering a 1/2 pint can off of Amazon - hopefully here in a few weeks. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Now your talking my game! Nice to see you come back to Samurai. All those years ago when you were on a hot streak for these got me to take the dive.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Kevin. Yes, I am returning to my "roots", wargaming-wise 😉. Have some Perry Koreans and samurai on the way too. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Nicely done Dean and a prompt to get some of my new samurai collection on the painting table. Broom bristles are definitely the way to go 👍 as for stain I use Agrax by GW, I seems expensive but it just works for my style of painting and gives a consistent shade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! I just called four of the local Ace Hardware stores (the only ones who carry Tudor Satin), and they were all out. I may indeed have to go the GW Agrax or Army Painter stain route. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Nice work Dean. They'll work fab once the minwax magic is applied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Richard. Appreciate the kind words. Best regards, Dean

      Delete