Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Just Checking In

Sorry for not being on the blogosphere for awhile, but I've been on a quest for fire, or more appropriately a firearms quest recently. Here in Washington State, a new law prohibiting the sale and transfer of firearms with more than a 10-round magazine capacity will take effect 1 July of this year. It does not affect (at least for now) the possession and sale of these prior to 1 July. This was announced a few months ago, and it prompted to me feel the "need" to acquire a few of these soon to be prohibited weapons. Prior to this, I really didn't have a burning desire to own anything of the sort - having spent 28 years in the Army, guns really didn't hold any special aura for me. However, that all said - just the thought of someday possibly wanting to own one of these soon to be "outlawed" guns made me go on a mini-buying spree of sorts. I already had a Walther P1 which I picked up over 10 years ago at a local outdoor store for $330. I honestly only fired it a few times over these years - mainly because I thought I could spend the money for ammo on other things - like figures and such. Anyway, I ended up buying not one, not two, but four new firearms.These are a Springfield Armory SA-35 (Browning Hi Power clone), an Uberti repro of a Remington New Army Revolver, a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 semi auto rifle - and just last night I ordered a Girsan Beretta M9 clone. Still awaiting the arrival of the Girsan. Granted the revolver isn't impacted by the new law, but it's such an iconic gun. With these acquisitions, I've spent a lot of time (for me anyway) on the range test firing them these past few weeks. 

Fired 100 rounds of .223 today with the AR 15. 

Target below is from the 25 yd target; also had a 100 yd target - but that one wasn't shot at too much. It was a nice day to be at the range.
Below are shots from last week with the Remington and the SA-35. I used a 45 Colt cartridge conversion cylinder with the Remington. It can also fire black powder with the cylinder it came with.
I had several 15 round magazines for the Browning Hi Power clone - and also this 30 round one.
Not to worry as I haven't quit the hobby. In fact, I packed up the figures and terrain for the games I'm hosting at Enfilade in a couple of weeks. Pictured below are the bins for the La Haye Sainte game on the right and the Marston Moor game on the left.
Well, I hope I haven't offended anyone with this post, but just wanted to share a bit of what I've been up to lately; and why I haven't been able to visit your blogs. Until next time, thanks for stopping by and wishing you all the best.

26 comments:

  1. Looks like you've been having fun and I look forward to the Enfilade AARs!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. Yes, it's a sort of bug for me these past few months. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Lots of 1:1 scale finger-work on the range. Hope you kept your ear protectors on. I am also looking forward to the AAR'S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe! Yes, a lot larger scale collecting. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Horses for courses Dean, if you had that lot in England, they'd probably lock you up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks, Ray! I wondered about that. I saw a YouTube video of one of the SAS guys who participated in the Iranian Embassy raid; and he was given a "deactivated" Browning Hi Power like the one he used in the raid. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Dean, isn't the ban only on the sale of high-cap clips? The weapons can still be purchased, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that at first too, Jonathan. But, turns out it also will ban the sale of these weapons too. I asked a few FFL dealers and also the gun counter folks at the JBLM PX. Kind of prompted me to pick these up before the ban takes effect. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Very interesting post, anyway! So you are not only master painetr, but also sharp-shooter - like warrior-poet from the past? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Not a big gun enthusiast, but a combination of a collector and the pending law limiting some firearms. I do love the history of armor and weapons. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Great to see news from You!
    A lots of fun here!
    Besr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal! Starting to get better weather for some outdoor activities. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Real guns not really my thing, but as we know it isn’t the gun but the person holding it. The different approach here in the UK is stark to say the least, very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understood - Matt. And to be honest, growing up in Hawaii I was more into nature/surfing than weapons. That said, it's just the thought of not being able to own something, prompted me to pick these up. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to the games, especially Marston Moor. It'll be great to see all that painting on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Markus! Just another couple of weeks - hoping to be able to hold up for 4 games - two of them back to back - La Haye Sainte followed by Marston Moor. I've done back to back periods, but with the same game/set up. This will take some effort. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Hi Dean - I wrote a dissertation on my views on gun control a few days back but see it hasn't appeared! Is this just a Blogger issue or did you not want to share my thoughts with the group ?? :) The crux of it was - I dont have an issue with you owning guns but there are an awful lot of people who own them but should not, even in this country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Keith. No, I didn't delete anything you may have written. Didn't realize blogger had a bot to remove stuff. Sorry to hear about that. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Oh ok - you dont have comment moderation - so obviously I wasted ten minutes of my life a few days back cos bloody Blogger has dumped it - maybe THEY didnt like what I had to say - watch Jim Jeffries on YouTube, you will get the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Keith! Didn't see your dissertation. :) Thanks for your thoughts in any case! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Phil! I'm more of a collector than a gun enthusiast. Just love the look of the black metal frames and wooden grips - expect for the AR 15, that is. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. A samurai with an assault rifle? Now I’ve seen ‘em all! 😆

    As Matt said above, it's not the gun but the person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my buddy's told me that they make figures similar to this - OPR's Grimdark. 'The Eternal Dynasty. Thanks again, Dean

      Delete
  13. I love it!
    Neil

    http://toysoldiersanddiningroombattles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete