Sunday, March 6, 2022

Perry FPW French Chasseurs a Pied

Nice sculpts that match up nicely in both size (large side of 28mm) and style with Eagles of Empire FPW figures. I had added these to an order of ECW stuff and was pleasantly surprised to see the match up as I was expecting them to be a bit smaller. I'm wondering if their plastic FPW figures will also be larger than their usual sized figures too. Anyway, as I only intend to do FPW as skirmish, not planning on getting too many of their figures.
Their uniforms being fairly simple, they painted up quickly with my usual block painting followed by a Minwax stain and highlights afterwards. The piping on their kepis being the hardest part of the whole process; and even this wasn't too bad as I painted them for effect, rather than accuracy.
Havings some spare 25mm round bases, went ahead and based some as singles and some paired on 50mm rounds. This is similar to how some folks base their figures for Lion Rampant and Rebels and Patriots, etc., and looks good, IMO.
Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue was used for the coats and kepis; a mixture of gray with a little bit of blue was used for the trousers.
A comparison shot below shows how the Perry Chasseurs size up well with the Eagles of Empire figures on the left. They are slightly larger and taller than their own ACW plastic Zouaves (painted as Turcos), but not really noticeable on the gaming table.
On the gaming front, I plan to host a La Haye Sainte Black Powder game next month at the Veterans Museum down in Chehalis. I'm also signed up to host two La Haye Sainte games and a Marston Moor Pike and Shotte game in May at our annual big convention, Enfilade. I wanted to host these games in part due to our Canadian gamer-brethren finally being able to make it down from the border. This will be the first time since 2019 that we'll be able to spend time gaming and carousing together again. Thanks for dropping by and wishing you all the best.

28 comments:

  1. Great Franco-Prussian War French Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for the kind word, Mike! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. Very nice job, Dean! I wonder if you will be able to keep the plan of not buying too many more fpw.

      Delete
    3. Indeed, the temptation may be too great! Thanks for the kind words. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Excellent French chasseurs! Those Foundry figures are superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. These are actually from the new Perry range. I suppose they pretty much scale creeped their earlier Foundry work. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Incredible, Dean! Really nice figs and painting as well! I'll wait Prussian guys as well as a Preussen fan! Heil dir in Siegenkranz! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. One of the wars that always catches my eye, though I always hold onto my sanity and not dive into another period, but I do love reading about period. Nicely done!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks alot, Kevin. I know what you mean about more periods. Just ordered some Napoleon's Egyptian campaign stuff. Lol! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. As always, a great paint job on these figures Dean. I had some Foundry figures for FPW many years ago, but got rid of them to fund a different project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. Yes, some of these "lesser" wars do get second thoughts of keeping or moving on. So far, FPW still has some interest for me. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Nice job, Dean. I like the same line of brothers, but I look more at the Prussians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexey! Lol! I have Prussians and Bavarians from Eagles of Empire already. May try out some Perry ones later. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. That's awesome looking Miniatures Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Michal! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Great soldiers, Dean! I like how they look on the bases, very realistic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Denis! Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you much, Christopher! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Lovely figures, great poses and paint job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Phil! Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Great looking figures- nice brushwork. FPW is a great period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, John. A period I've only done skirmish in - kind of pushing the early limits of Bolt Action :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Splendid looking chasseurs! Can you resist the temptation of Perry plastics? I'm not so sure!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I think I may someday try a box or two out, however, since I plan to use them in skirmish games, might stick to their metals. Actually ordered some of the Chasseurs de Afrique too. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. Great work on display as usual. Vivid blues on display here, in a good way of course :) There's something about the blue (uniform) and green (base) combo that's so pleasing and relaxing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Kuan. Much appreciated. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete