Monday, September 30, 2019

Atlantis née Aurora 1/48th M46 Patton Tank - WIP

Picked this kit up at Hobby Lobby the other day. Couldn't pass it up with the usual online 40% discount coupon. Came out to about $11 USD. Although not the usual 1/56th - 28mm size, all my other AFV's are either 1/50th (Corgi) or 1/48th (Tamiya and other diecast). I managed to get most of the kit done in under 2 hours. The major effort was spent getting the wheels on - still not hard though. In fact, the wheels can spin if you use the glue sparingly on the end caps.

Some filler putty was used around the seams on the turret. This kit is a tad larger than the Tamiya 1/48th Pershing I already have. I'll post some comparison pics later once it's done - along with some 28mm figures. Granted this isn't the scale a lot of folks use for gaming, but as I don't intend to pick up a Korean War force anytime soon, it'll be mainly a display piece.

Speaking of Korean War, I hope to paint it up with the "tiger" markings as many of these were - not the least the 6th Medium Tank Battalion attached to the 24th Infantry Division. That's them below:
Anyway this is just a mini-project while awaiting the arrival of the 6-bottle Vallejo WW2 Desert British & German set I ordered off of ebay.

12 comments:

  1. Neat kit! Never underestimate the power of a Hobby Lobby 40% Discount coupon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. I always pick up my Testors Dullcote there. I'm waiting for them to restock the Red Baron triplane in approx. 1/48th scale too. :) Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Nice! Varied stuff going on and your scratching your armour itch!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. Yes, it does appear my projects are a bit scattered. But the tie-in is they could all be for Bolt Action :) Or so I try to justify it to myself. :) Best regards, Dean

      P.S. I have 1/48 Tamiya Matilda coming in from the motherland soon, I hope.

      Delete
  3. Tanks a lot for the article... doh!

    You know Warlords has just released a huge line for Korea with stuff flying off their model making war engines. I am tempted, but I know what would happen if I did. Ooh these are so pretty as I look for shelf space to store them.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin. I may someday get some troops for this period, or maybe just do tank on tank Korea. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Never heard of that company before, good price though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran - yes, I think a new name, but using the old (1950's era) Aurora molds - and box art! :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Off to a nice start Dean. I do love the outline of this tank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. I hope to pull of the tiger markings. Best regards, Dean

      Delete