Monday, August 19, 2019

I Need A Hero

"He's gotta be strong and he's gotta be fast,"...okay, enough with the 80's big hair throwback. This is a Franco Prussian War "French Hussar Hero" that Soren from Eagles of Empire sent me as a freebie figure along with my recent order.
He's wearing the uniform of the 1st Hussars as he would've appeared at the Battle of Sedan.
Another fine sculpt from Eagles of Empire. The horses by Ebob are among the finest around.
I'll have to see how he'll be used, but I'm assuming some kind of leadership "plus" kind of stuff for the minions.
Again, as with the other Eagles of Empire figures, the uniform and equipment details are most-impressive.
I also painted up some nice resin terrain from War World Gaming. I happened upon them while using my free 30-day Prime trial with Amazon. They were basecoated black and then quickly dry-brushed with browns and tans.
I now should have more than enough figures for a Bolt Action game - hopefully this coming Friday if players can make it. I'm also thinking of adding a few more units - like North Star Prussian Cuirassiers and Eagles of Empire French Cuirassiers as well. Thanks for stopping by by and wishing you all good gaming and painting.

25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ray! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Lovely heroic hussar! Nice bit of terrain too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Iain. Yes, I felt obligated to paint up the gift from Eagles of Empire. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Great looking hero type figure Dean. A gifted figure is always worth that extra effort.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Ross. Yes, and it being such a great sculpt makes it all the better. Warm Regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. ...and that completes the set. Very dynamic figure and brushwork that definitely rises to the sculpt quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ed. It'll be interesting how I can use him for the rules I intend to try them out with (Bolt Action). Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Very expresive hussar! Looking great, Dean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dmitry! Yes, the poses are very dynamic and great for skirmish gaming, IMO. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Fab work Dean. The pose is very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simon. Yes, very dynamic and flowing. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. The braiding on the dolman is really nicelys sculpted. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous work, Dean! You are turning it up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much for the kind words, Jonathan. Seems this period was the ticket to get me back into the hobby. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Nice model, it has great character, and you've brought it even further with a splendid paint job.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the compliment, Kevin. Best, Dean

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Michal! Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Impeccable paintwork Dean! Did you use oils on the horse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment and interest, Mike! Actually, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I've been painting horses with a fairly simple method. I start with spray paint - currently I have a dark brown, light brown and light gray (which I use for the dappled ponies). They are all inexpensive stuff from either Walmart or Home Depot. Then I use acrylics for the mane and tail and straps. Next, I brush on Minwax Tudor Satin stain (Polyurethane, not oil). Once the stain dries (overnight), they're spray with Testors Dullcote. As in this case, I sometimes dry-brush a light shade of the basic horse color for highlights. I then can add the white socks and stars on the foreheads - and dry-brush the mane and tail too. So, long story short - no oils. :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Well he might be strong and fast but no matter how bright his eyes he shouldn't be turning around while on the saddle ;) Well that's enough Bonnie Tyler references from me ... lovely paint job by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking classy! Really dig the pose. Almost like straight from a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marvelous figure and paint job, Dean!

    ReplyDelete