Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Eagles of Empire Bavarian Line Infantry

Here are two 8-man squads of Bavarian Line Infantry - one with dark green facings and the other with orange facings.
I used Vallejo Ultramarine Blue for the base uniform color and highlighted with Vallejo Deep Sky Blue. Maybe a little lighter than the actual uniform color, but this helps distinguish them from the darker blue coated Prussians and French.
The nice flag was downloaded from Warflags. Osprey says most flag staffs had a "sitting lion" as a finial, but a few units did have the spear point.
As with the Prussians, it appears no two figures are posed exactly alike - very impressive.
This is what they looked like after staining with Minwax Tudor Satin stain.
And with the basic block painting prior to the staining.
I must say, I kind of like the Ultramarine Blue look, before the highlighting. Next up are the French Line Infantry. Until then, happy painting and good gaming to you all!

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Mike! Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Michal! Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Ray! Appreciate the visit and nice words. Best, Dean

      Delete
  4. You are really on a roll Dean, wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Michael. Yes, I think after the French infantry, I will take a break. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Great looking Bavarians Dean, lovely units!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Phil. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. These look great! Nice flag and your cranking them out at some speed!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I think groups of 16 figures make for comfortable projects. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking Bavarians Dean!
    What’s your approach for bases? Do you remove individual bases before placing painted miniatures to group base, or you decorate above the individual stands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dmitry - thanks for the interest. I spread acrylic caulking on the bases and then just stick the figures onto the caulking while still drying. Once the caulking is dried (with the figure set into it), I add some white glue in irregular fashion and add sand mixed with dried coffee groups. After that all dries, I paint the base a dark brown; followed by highlighting and finally flock with static grass. Very, very basic and quick. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dean, interesting method and your bases look great. I also heard people use semolina with white glue to imitate earth surface.

      Delete
    3. I use the dried coffee grounds because I drink a lot of coffee and had a lot of used grounds. But now, we use Keurig with individual tubs, so I may have to look at other sources! Lol! :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for your kind words, Fran! Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Great work Dean, fantastic work rate too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scrivs. Yes, I think I may be needing to take a break soon (i.e. host a game). :) Best, Dean

      Delete
  10. They look gorgeous! You simply can't beat the look of Bavarian cornflower blue when it comes to the FPW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. I think I may have used a little bit too much highlighting. Oh well, easily ID'd on the table top as Bavarians! :) Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Very handsome, Dean. You are making fine progress on this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the kind words, Peter! Best, Dean

      Delete
  12. Fine work Dean! I haven't yet attempted the cornflower blue for my own FPW project...thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg! If I were to do it again, I'd limit the highlighting - have more of the basic blue in appearance. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete