Friday, November 16, 2018

Victrix Armoured Samnites Completed w/LBMS Shield Transfers

The LBMS transfers arrived yesterday, along with a set each of Victrix Greek Light Cavalry and Greek Archers. I hadn't used these transfers in years and wasn't sure how easy or difficult they'd be to apply. I was pleasantly surprised to find out how easy they were to use. The hardest part is cutting the transfers out, and even that wasn't too much trouble. Granted, these shields didn't have center bosses so a bit easier than those I would guess. Anyway, here are the figures from one box of Victrix Armoured Samnites - 24 in all with two commands. I hope to use them as two units of 12 "Warriors" (classed as Yeomen) each for a version of Lion Rampant called Elephants Rampant.
Although I like to base figures 3 or 4 to a stand, I chose to base them as singles for local Elephant Rampant skirmish games. They're on 3/4" (approx. 20mm) fender washers which give a nice weight to the bottom of the figures.
The warlike Samnites having a go at each in the absence of proper enemies.
I quite enjoyed painting up and "decaling" these figures, the first Ancients I've worked on in a very long time.
I'm looking forward to starting on the cavalry and archers. That is unless the Perry Napoleonic cavalry arrives. I want to finish them up as soon as possible to host a play test of the "Eve of Waterloo" scenario in the new Black Power rule book. So much for now, thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

36 comments:

  1. Must try these transfers one day, too nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil! They look great and custom-fitted for most figure makers. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Awesome work, Dean! Your black photo background makes these shields pop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan! I have to crop the image pretty closely as the black board is an "ergonomically designed" laptop pad which we don't use otherwise :) Best, Dean

      Delete
  3. Very nice. Have you played Elephants Rampant yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. Have yet to try out the rules Pat designed, but I'm working on a force for it right now. It'll be from the Epirote list. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Fran! I am looking forward to using LBMS transfers again. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. I have a lot of Crusader Miniatures Carthaginians and Spanish (and a few Romans, too). I bought them years ago planning to play Fields of Glory in 28mm--but then not. So they're sitting around mostly unpainted or partially painted waiting for a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like some warbands in the making, David! The Spanish list has some very promising troops too. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Sergiuss! I'm really liking the Victrix Ancients range. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous looking Samnites! Lovely painting and transfering!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I'm glad I picked these up from Victrix. Been eyeing their plastic Ancients range for a long time. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Brilliant Samnites Dean! The Victrix figures are inspiring to paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Mike. Yes, I'm likely going to pick up a few more sets in the future - just to paint up and collect if nothing else. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. These look great! So colourful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim! Yes, I agree - Samnites always had a special appeal for me. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Excellent.

    Did you have any issues with placing the transfers onto the shields?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg. I hadn't used LBMS transfers in a long time and couldn't remember my experiences, but having just done these I can honestly say they are worry-free and quite simple to use. That said, you do have to cut out the transfer with a pair of scissors or hobby knife first - which can be fiddly if you have to cut out a hole for a shield boss. Otherwise very easy to apply. Appreciate the comment and interest! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Dean,

    these look great and the LBM transfers are well worth the time to cut out.

    I must look into Elephants Rampant; sounds perfect!

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ross. Here's the link to the Pacific NW Rampant FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/1668613913399484/ - not sure if you're on FB, but it has the rules there, as well as great discussion on other mods. The admin of the site, Pat L., wrote an article for WSS on Chariots Rampant too. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks, Norm. I like their interesting armor and shields over say, Greek Hoplites. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. Wow!! Excellent figures but the shields really shot them to the higher ground !!!Just awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, George! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  14. Really nice looking work with the Samnites. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete