Sunday, October 21, 2018

Black Powder Napoleonic French & British Casualty Markers

Added a few more casualty markers, including the use of spare cannon bits from the Victrix sets.  Cheap plastic Bicycle brand poker chips in blue and red are used as bases for quick recognition. These markers will be used for the first, initial casualty, and small Litko skulls will be used for subsequent casualties.
Here are all of the markers so far. I had actually sold the previously made markers to my buddy Ted (Stern Rake Studio blog) last year, but since getting back into Black Powder, he was kind enough to allow me to buy them back!
I still need to add a few more markers for the cavalry units. The Perry sets have double the number of riders for different style legs and bodies. They'll need a little bit of conversion work, but nothing a sharp blade and hot knife can't take care of. I've done this already on a couple of Hussars (one each French and British) and a Cuirassier. They're in the far left row in the image above.

Looking forward to the game this coming Saturday with a some buddies who haven't played Black Powder much - in fact, I think it might be the first time for a couple of them. I'm honored to host the game, and hope they get a kick out of it. Best wishes to you all!

34 comments:

  1. Excellent casualty markers Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! Hard to believe just about a year ago, I thought I had given up on Black Powder and never thought about gaming Napoleonics again. Now I'm back digging it even more the second time around. AND I never imagined a 2nd Ed. was being released. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Great looking casualty markers Dean!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent markers, Dean! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work! Making them color coded is a smart idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jonathan. At first I thought I would just use Litko skulls, but having an actual casualty figure/model should help visualize the first casualty which can't be removed using the Rally rule. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Dean, very colorful markers. It will be interesting to see how they look in the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Dmitri. I've used them before and they aren't very obtrusive - yet, easy to spot. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Fran! Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Splendid markers, love the outline color, makes them more showy...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking casualty markers, I'm just hoarding my spare riders until I cast up some metal horses but you're conversions look ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. Yes, I was just thinking about that, whilst working on carving up a Cuirassier figure. Best, Dean

      Delete
  9. I'm not a gamer so if I'm focused on the figures
    I will say.."Beautiful" dead men!!Nice poses and fine painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Yes, I could've gotten away with just simple markers, but since some of the Perry sets come with casualty figures, I was too tempted. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. These are very nice, things like this really add to a game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scrivs. And painting them up takes half the time! Like painting up a flounder :) Best, Dean

      Delete
  11. You cant beat well painted battle periphery well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robbie. And Perry including a few of them really is nice. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. They look great, Dean. Good luck with your upcoming game!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Simon! Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  14. Good looking work will be good to see the game in action 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. Yes, I'm looking forward to the game too. Hopefully able to take some good photos. Best, Dean

      Delete
  15. Lovely markers Dean! Have a great day out with hosting the game. I know it can be a lot of work but the payoffs are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Curt. I'm looking forward to hosting this game. I really enjoy putting games on; especially so for good gaming buddies I've known for close to 10 years now. Although, I only get to see them a few times a year - but it's like I just saw them yesterday. Granted, Facebook and this blog keeps us connected a bit anyway. I'll be sure to post an AAR with photos after the game. After that I may be delving into a different period. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete