Thursday, August 20, 2015

Painting Distractions - Continued

Well, ebay did it again, another purchase arrived today - keeping me from picking up a paint brush yet again. This time a 1:43rd scale diecast car made and delivered from China. Couldn't pass up the price ($8USD including shipping), and the shipping was surprisingly fast - within 2 weeks. Here is a favorite car of mine - a Porsche 550 Spyder; similar to the one James Dean met his fate in. I may someday use it in something Tamsin has been recently doing.
It's a really well-detailed model with proper 5 lug rims and cut out engine vents. Here it is below with a 28mm (larger side) Victory Force figure for scale comparison - looks about right.
I may have to use a spare driver figure to place inside the car.
Here's the Rebel Without a Cause and his 550 ("Little Bastard"); he had just traded in in his Super Speedster for the Spyder about a week or so before the fatal crash.
My first two cars were Karmann Ghias - the so-called "Poor Man's Porsche." The first a '64 in Hawaii which had a rebuilt 1855cc with dual 44 Webers, and then a '61 when I was stationed at Fort Ord, California in the early '80's. I used to drive around the back roads near Laguna Seca. The first one was totally wrecked by a woman driving a Corvette who ran into my car as I was at a stop light; I think the she was drunk - from the police report as she fled the scene. I joined the Army not long afterwards, and found the '61 with a "For Sale" sign parked at the Monterey Marina - it was owned by a little old lady - really. This one I drove into wooden fence at a hairpin turn I didn't see on a moonless night (no street lights) near Salinas, California. I walked away from both fine, but the cars didn't. God was looking out for me both times, and continues to. Apologies for the ramblings.

14 comments:

  1. Always a surprise up your sleeve!
    Cool model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughts, Jonathan. Now what to do with it? :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Very nice.
    Always a surprise at what the Chinese can produce so cheaply....
    Great find.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Stu. My wife did a shopping tour there when we were stationed in Korea - a weekend trip. She bought a bunch of Pokemon & Digimon plastic painted figs for my kids - they were about .25 cents each. They would be about $5.00 each in the PX ;) Regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Legendary car! Wasn't this the one Jimmy D also drove?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was, Soren. James Dean had just traded in his Super Speedster for a Spyder about a week before the crash. Best, Dean

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. A true classic - I like older Porsches - including the Le Mans ones. Best, Dean

      Delete
  5. That's a sweet ride! No wonder you got distracted. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. The weather here finally turned normal - that is, colder and cloudy; conducive for painting :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. One of my all time favourite cars (maybe someday, I'll get to sit in one).

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that, Tony! Considering all the family cars I've been through I could've had a replica one - but how very impractical would that have been :)! Regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason. I may add a few more as they appear on ebay. Best, Dean

      Delete