Monday, April 21, 2014

Litko Re-basing - Early Samurai

In a continuing effort to organize figures for easier handling, both in gaming and also storage, I used up some leftover 50mm round bases from Litko. I had just enough to re-base the mostly The Assault Group (T.A.G.) Early Samurai cavalry I've had for several years. The lone monk is a Kingsford from their excellent line. These had been gamed many times as singles in WAB and modified-WAB games in the past. As this period suits smaller scale skirmish best, I wanted them based for ease of play in this respect. Having two per round base seemed like a good enough idea. So, here they are in a few gratuitous photos.
Besides static grass, Army Painter grass tufts and flowers have been added to the bases to jazz them up a bit.
The large banner is based upon one supposedly associated with Minamoto Yoshitsune - the hero from the Gempei Wars of the late 12th Century. The large white horo has markings from the Minamoto clan - the horo was scratch-built using Green Stuff.
They were painted several years ago - when I used to paint eyes - which nowadays are reserved for character figures only.
The rear shot above shows off the various lacing patterns on the o-yoroi - or great armor of the period. There isn't evidence that the patterns were anything like European heraldry, and more on the whim of the wearer.

Below is yet another gratuitous image - this time with the foot troops - on Litko skirmish trays; both samurai and chugen (pre-Ashigaru types). They are a mixture of T.A.G., Kingsford and Curteys; which mix well together. I feel fortunate to have not only met Mike Curtis of Curteys, but actually played against him at a WAB tournament last year.The figures are on a GW board with skulls which do not look inappropriate. If I were still into this period, I would've liked to have added some West Wind figures from their nice range also.

Cheers!

18 comments:

  1. Truly amazing detail on the armor. What a beautiful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking great!

    I am amazed at how well the TAG mix in... I would have imagined their style would hardly fit the others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Burkhard - from the images on the West Wind site, I think some of their figures, particularly the foot troops, would also fit in well.

      Delete
  3. Magnificent, very good colors and these battle scene ... njam ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dean that is 1 stunning collection. Fine rebasing to!!!!
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely looking collection you have there Dean!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all very much for the kind words! Warm regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice work. If you were still into the period, I recommend Ronin, very fun skirmish game from Osprey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, yes, I've seen posts on that. I'm thinking it might work for an earlier period I would like to try out - Heian period stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of your stuff Dean, but this just shines! All this color and detail work is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Monty. I really enjoyed painting these fine sculpts up a few years ago. I'm not sure if I could put as much effort into my painting these days. I've gotten a bit lazy over the years :) Best, Dean

      Delete
  10. Fine work Dean, most certainly a colourful period. What sort of rules do you anticipate using for them now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scott. They could still be used with WAB or other skirmish rules (Ronin?) as the infantry are still singles, just in movement trays. The cav could use casualty counters - which I have plenty of from Litko (the small white skulls), and worked great with the Siege of Haengju game. Best, Dean

      Delete