Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mirliton & Gripping Beast (Battle Honors) Knights - WIP

Painted up a couple of knights for the HRE army; I know it's slow going, but I've been doing other things and had to make myself sit down and paint for a bit today. The one on the right in the photo below is the Mirliton Ulrich Von Lichenstein figures. The one on the left is a Battle Honors figure with an Old Glory helmet from the Teutonic Knights set.
The guy on the left is based on the illustration below from the Codex Manesse of Burchard von Wengen. Since it only shows his helmet and shield, I took the liberty to use one of the Gripping Beast figures with a sleeved surcoat. The horns on the Old Glory helm isn't exactly like the one illustrated, but close enough.


A couple more views of the figures. The Von Wengen guy will go on a horse with mail barding. Notice how the mail is sculpted differently on the two.

It appears the "man purse" isn't a new invention - the Gripping Beast guy has one.

11 comments:

  1. Really nice mate - these knights are special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff...Can't wait to get started on my knights soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind comments, Gentlemen. Although this project is going pretty slowly, I am enjoying researching the codex and seeing which knight would make an interesting addition to the unit. Regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive work. Can´t wait to see the knights finished,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic looking figures!

    If you're doing requests, I'd love see Friedrich II. von Leiningen.

    Regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt:

    Thanks - oooh, von Leiningen- triple eagles per escutcheon - only if I get transfers :)! Regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm now catching up on your posts. Your knightly WIP looks fantastic!

    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  8. fantastic painting... but I fear the Battle Honours knights do not exist... they are in fact Gripping Beast ones, once distributed in USA by Battle Honours! you got me crazy trying to figure why I never saw BH 28mm medieval!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah - got it; wow, those have been hanging on the wall at my local gaming store for years - in Battle Honors blisters. Regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was quite surprised beacuse I have them also and bought from GB!

    ReplyDelete