Thursday, August 20, 2026

Back From Hawaii

Just got back from visiting my family in Hawaii early (1:30am-ish) Wednesday morning. I spent the two weeks there nursing both my 94 year old mom, and her elderly and ill little dog. My older brother, who lives with her, called me several weeks ago thinking my mom was on her last leg. She hadn't been eating much, and staying in bed almost all day. I made her breakfast every morning and she was eating all of her meals. By the time I was leaving, she had improved dramatically, both physically and mentally. We also started in home care service for her a few times a week - starting today (my brother just called, and he said it went very well). Anyway, I spent most of my days at home, which is only about 10 minutes walking distance to Waikiki. I found souvenir tiki keychains like the ones I bought off of ebay - at a very inexpensive price, in one of the numerous ABC stores along Waikiki.

The lighting gave them a washed out look in the photo - they're a little darker in person.
As you can see, the two new tikis and the .49 cents ABC store shopping bag were less than $10 total.

Green Stuff for the tikis' foundation base, and prior to drybrushing; the earlier two tikis are above them.
According to Ancient Hawaiian religion, there were four main gods - Kāne (the god of creation and the sky), Kū (the god of war), Lono (the god of peace and fertility), and Kanaloa (the god of the ocean). These four tikis can represent them guarding a sacred area, which can be a victory condition for an attacker to reach, and take some sacred item there.
In addition to the tikis, I based and primed the Warlord Games Pike & Shotte Cuirassiers and several mounted commanders.

All in all, I was happy to help get my mom back in good health, but it was very hot and humid the whole time there - and they don't have central air at the house. Also, I was a bit worried about my flight back to Washington as a downgraded hurricane with heavy winds and rain blew in a few days before I was to leave. On the gaming front, I'm scheduled to host an Imjin War naval game next month at Fort Steilcoom's Fix Bayonets game day. I was supposed to host this game last week at the Veterans Memorial Museum, but had to cancel due to my unexpected trip to Hawaii. Thanks again for stopping by, and wishing you all the best.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your mums alright, nice totem finds for your terrain and looking forward to your cuirrasiers, I found them pleasant to paint?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on the totems Dean simple but effective. Always challenging when parents get older, good luck👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really glad to read about your mum's improvement while you were there to help and hopefully, she stays that way for a while although at 94 time is obviously limited. My parents in law both lived to that sort of age but my own mum and dad died aged 61 when I was only in my late 20's - and as I was in NZ and they were in Scotland, in a strange sort of way, the impact on me was less.
    The plastic Tikis are great - I am sure I could find similar in a $2 shop in NZ, as Māori carved idols/Gods are very similar! I Googled this - "When you see the familiar stylised human figure known as the tiki, you’re looking at one of the most recognisable and cherished symbols in the Māori world. Often carved from pounamu or bone, the tiki symbol speaks to deep ancestral stories that have echoed through centuries of Polynesian culture."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so please to hear that Mum has rallied and enjoying her food again; you must be mightily relieved? Love the build too, great job matching them to your original pieces.

    ReplyDelete