Monday, March 25, 2024

Joseon Army - Perry Figures

Here's the Joseon army to date - the only figure not from Perry is the guy in red with one of the hwacha. Also, the multi-barreled gun is from another maker which I can't recall at the moment.

Command stands and hwacha next to an aquarium piece which was re-painted.
I just bought some old Cavalcade Ming Chinese figures to reinforce the Joseon army.

Here are some pictures from 20 or so years ago, when I was stationed in Korea. This was inside a repro-Turtle ship. The armor and weapons were laying on a table with no one else around, so figured we'd try them on.
My two sons are grown up now, the youngest is a Captain in the Army, and the older one recently was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Washington Air Guard. He was enlisted for about 11 years before that.
This was in Namhae, and was pretty much deserted; might've been off-season. No one around, so we just waltzed right inside and toured the ship by ourselves. We later walked up along the shore and stopped by a shrine in honor of Admiral Yi. All this, long before I ever thought I'd be gaming the Imjin War.

24 comments:

  1. Great looking army Dean……but I guess you are (rightly) prouder of your sons 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! Yes, and when we visited the turtle ship, I had no idea I'd one day be gaming it! :) Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Outstanding collection Dean. This is one of my favorites as well. I got my inspiration from visiting Jingju, as I never got the chance to get down to Namhae.

    I am looking forward to seeing what you do with the Ming figures. I have had four units sitting in the lead pile for about six years now awaiting some inspiration. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Jake. Yes, I know you have a great collection of the same period. Hope to do the Ming figures justice once they arrive. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Great Korean army Dean and excellent pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! Looking forward to adding the Ming. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Superb army parade and terrific family photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan! Lol! I just placed an order for more Perry Koreans. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal! looking forward to getting them in a game soon. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. The collection is looking awesome, so colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Army, so much color. Oozing characters. . Some AAR'S soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Joe! I'm hoping to host a game soon. Definitely will post pics and AAR soon after. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Dude those are sweet. My friend is selling his Japanese, Koreans, and Ming to me. There nice, but yours look nicer.

    I can't believe how quickly your son's have grown up and Officers to boot! Proud Papa I am sure.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the kind words, Kevin! Yes, it is amazing how time flies - and very proud of them too. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. So much to enjoy in this post. Thanks Dean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Richard! Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Excellent collection Dean and some great pics of the family having fun!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christopher! Yes, back in the day when my sons had no choice but to accompany their dad :) lol! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Outstanding figures Dean and the aquarium piece looks great too. Nice trip down memory lane for you, looking at the pictures of your boys as children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! Yes, the aquarium piece definitely fits the bill. By the time my sons were in middle school, they were already getting taller than me (although that's not saying much for my height - or lack thereof). Lol! Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Nice figures Dean, something I know little about so it's probably time to read up on the matter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew! I think the books by Turnbull are pretty good - concise and well illustrated. I just picked up his Osprey book, "Japanese Castles in Korea 1592-98" - hope to build some terrain for a siege game. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete