Saturday, April 1, 2023

Tiger Hunt - 1/48th Tamiya and AFV Club Tigers Finished

Took a little while to finish these, mainly due to the drying period of the AK Interactive oil washes. The recommended drying time for these are from 12-24 hours. Since this was the first time using them, I went for the full 24-hours as I didn't want it to react badly with the final matte coat of Krylon spray.

The AFV Club kit on the left is supposed to belong to the 102nd Heavy Tank Battalion which served in Normandy. The Tamiya kit on the right is supposed to belong to the 505th Heavy Tank Battalion which served on the Eastern Front. 
Used one of the Bandai figures for the AFV Club tank; the Tamiya kit came with the commander.
The oil wash was used rather sparingly on the zimmerit of the AFV Tiger. When the wash was partially dried, I used a brush with very little thinner on it to wipe away some of the wash to lighten it.
The decals came with the kits and decal setting solution was used. It worked well setting the decals into the zimmerit.
A bit too big for 28mm figures, but they were a nice project to familiarize myself with the airbrush some more.
The picture above shows the two 1/48th Tigers next to a Corgi 1/50th Tiger on the far left. The Corgi looks good with 28mm figures, IMO.

My buddy dropped off a bunch of 1/48th kits he had sitting collecting dust for years - all he wanted was a some beer for them. Here are the kits below - plan to start on the Sherman first.
Thanks for stopping by and checking out the blog and current projects. Until next time, wishing you all the best in your endeavors!

14 comments:

  1. Great looking Tigers! You have a generous friend unless he is a heavy beer-drinker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. Well, I wouldn't say he's a heavy drinker, but I have yet to see h turn down a beer or two. He's actually given me a bunch of miniatures in the past. Mostly plastics. I think he realized he's more into lead. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Beautiful looking tanks! My favourite of WWII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal. I must admit, German tanks look great. I suppose some Soviet stuff are also cool too. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Wonderful work on the two tigers Dean and looks like you have plenty to keep you busy, thanks to your beer drinking buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith! I was gonna run over a case of IPA to my buddy, but he left for a vacation with his wife in Spain this morning. Catch up with him when he gets back in a few weeks. A few months ago they were in Turkey and left the day before the earthquake. He said he went to Gallipoli and Troy, among other sites. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. The camo looks great and you certainly have the hang of the spray brush. Size difference between the tanks is marginally really but three tigers in 28mm will make for a challenging game or very large game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Matt. Yes, three Tigers would be a challenging game. Haven't tried playing it yet but Bolt Action Tank War uses three tanks per unit so might give it a try someday. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Amazing Dean. Carry on like this and you may start getting commissions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the very kind compliment, Richard. I do plan to work on the technique more in the future. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Tiger fever:) I have the same thing going on with my Sci-fi stuff, always got to paint the big bad boys. Nicely done, and for braving the airbrush. I've had one for about five years now and can't get myself to use it. The way of the brush is my code of honor;)

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Thanks for the kind words, Kevin. Yes, it seems like the more I airbrush the more comfortable it gets. There's a learning curve for sure. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Excellent looking Tigers, great finish, I wouldn't have a problem using any of them with 28mm figures to be honest and what a generous friend!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Iain. Appreciate your kind words. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete