Sunday, April 17, 2022

Warlord Games/Wargames Factory AWI Hessians

Another group of Warlord Games/ Wargames Factory AWI plastics. This time a few Hessians from a couple of sprues off of ebay. I had ordered the infantry sprue, but was sent the command sprue by mistake. The seller kindly let me keep the command sprue and sent the infantry sprue too. With the two sprues I was able to build a small 12-man force of Hessians in skirmish order. 

The pink facings represent the Hesse-Hanau Regiment Erbprinz prior to them changing to crimson facings in 1780. They are mix of Fusiliers and Grenadiers as I like the look of both mitre caps.
The figures are on 25mm round Litko bases and grouped on 6-figure movement trays.
These sculpts appear (to me anyway) a bit nicer than the earlier Colonial Militia figures. Maybe it's because Grenadiers are supposed to be taller? The headgear are very nicely sculpted - you can even make out the Hesse lion coat of arms.
Not sure when these will join the other AWI figures in battle, but I have a copy of Rebels and Patriots as well as the first edition of Muskets and Tomahawks. Black Powder is also an option.
A box of Wargames Atlantic WW2 Italian Infantry arrived the other day - it was sent after a long delay while awaiting an order of WW1/2 French Infantry. They said they'd send the French once their back in stock. I also have the Perry and TAG figures for Napoleon's Egyptian Campaign too. As for gaming, I am hosting another playtest for the Black Powder La Haye Sainte game next Saturday at a gameday event. It's been scaled down from the previous playtest and will only include foot troops - sticking with the scenario of the actual fighting in and around the farmhouse. Until next time, wishing you all the best.

27 comments:

  1. I love the Hessians, so much so I painted some up in 40mm, my idea was to do AWI in this scale. It petered out but I painted Hessians;) These look amazing as ever Dean!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think their "mercenary" status, abd battle record, are appealing. Not only that, but metal plated mitres and green uniformed Jaegers are too cool. Hopefully you'll resurrect your 40mm project. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
    2. Excellent work on the Germans, Dean! Are your La Haye Sainte play tests in preparation for Enfilade?

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Jonathan. Yes, the La Haye Sainte game is a refresher/play test for the con. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words again, Michal. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. The figures look great as always Dean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ray. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Very nice Hessians Dean...Erbpronz is one of the regiments in my collection too...can't go wrong with pink facings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keith. Yes, they still look so SYW-ish with the long coats and pigtails, not to mention the mitres. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mike! Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Nice work on the Hessians, I always had a soft spot for the mitre caps. I agree with Keith, pink facings are the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. Yes, the mitres are quite the iconic headgear of the period. Those British ones are cool too - with the colorful plates. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Nice work Dean, I’m not keen on those sculpts , much prefer the Perry figures, but they look good painted up 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! Yes, if I get any Jaegers they'll likely be from Perry. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Good looking figures and nice job on them Dean. Nice of the seller to let you keep the sprues sent in error.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Richard! Yes, I think it might've been a loss if he had to pay for the return shipping of the initial figs. :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Lovely looking sculpts and paint work Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Simon. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Splendid looking Hessians!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Iain. Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Wvery time I get to thinking I have too many project, I like to come and look at your blog ;) Hessians look solid, and I'll look forward to the Egypt project - always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Every. I write this sandwiched between children ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Markus! I finger jam errors too! Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. You have brought out an incredible amount of details in these 25mm minis. Superbly done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Kuan! Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete