Sunday, July 29, 2018

Victrix French and British Artillery - WIP

Got a box each of Victrix French and British Artillery from Hobby Bunker. The British box was missing a sprue and am awaiting it's arrival. Each kit comes with three cannon and 15 crewmen (or is supposed to). I plan to use only 4 crewmen staged around each gun. The British kit also comes with 3 limbers. These will be based separately from the cannon, and have the "extra" crewman next to it - maybe with some other stuff for a mini-diorama.
Starting with the French - these will be with two 8 pounders manned by line artillery and a 12 pounder manned by Guardsmen. I have to say the French was easier to build than the British set. Most of the details like drag chains and grab handles are molded onto the gun chassis for the French - whereas the British set are separate pieces.The British set being older than the French, Victrix appears to improves their kit design.
I'm painting the smaller details like piping and buttons first; then the main clothing areas will be painted leaving a bit of the undercoat showing for blacklining.

The "extra" French crewmen bodies have been converted to Imperial Guard Engineers using arms from the Victrix Middle Guard set and carabinier heads from the Perry heavy cavalry set. Not sure what they'll be used for, but I like their uniform.
So much for now. I have to report for jury duty tomorrow. First time in my life - hopefully I'll be kicked off the panel by the defense when they hear I was in the JAG Corps for 28 years and a firm believer in maxing out sentences --- not really, but I don't want to be stuck in court for a week. It would be harder than work for me. :)

24 comments:

  1. Great looking artillery Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. They are coming along. Kind regards, but

      Delete
  2. You are making good progress on your Napoleonics project. Best of luck in dodging jury duty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks, Jonathan. My civic duty aside, it's tough for me to sit still so long. :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. I envy your opportunity for jury duty - my profession excludes me. Your JAG time will get you kicked off I'm guessing because you know too much about law and the rules of evidence. Nice posting - can't wait to see how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words, UG! If I get off, I will endeavor to push through and get the French guns and crew done ASAP. :) Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Michal! Regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. They’re coming along nicely, Dean. I didn’t manage to avoid jury duty, and was not looking forward to it, but ultimately it was quite engaging (we even finished early one afternoon and I got some sneaky toy soldier time in).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and sentiments, Steven! Yes, I'm prepared for either results. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. The figures look cool! I've never been on jury service either. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ray! I will intend to enjoy it if I am selected. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. I love the look of mass artillery. Look forward to seeing them finished off Dean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Th,Simon. Hope to slap some more paint on soon. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Quite like those conversions, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, FMB. The helmet crest is a little different, but should look okay after painting. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Christopher. The small details are the hardest part. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Those look really nice Dean! Your engineers look fabulous - what a great idea to mix the parts to make superb looking figures. I must get around to my Victrix British Artillery sometime - they have sat in their box for a good few years now.
    Oh good luck with Jury Service - I found it interesting though there was a lot of waiting around (take a good book in your pocket). The cost of food in the court for the jury was extortionate too - the price of it was criminal! Best wishes, Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Jason. I ended up being released at noon. Civic duty box checked :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Nice looking guns and gunners and conversions,glad jury service wasn't too taxing,when I did it they kept it down to a week as I was self employed which was fair I thought.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Iain. I,along with about half the prospective jurors were excused for the rest of the week. About 50 others were picked to stick around. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Great to see you "back in the saddle", Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Simon. It's quite nice to see the new plastic Napoleonic sets since revisiting the period. Not the least the Perry Chasseurs a Cheval and British Light Dragoons. Kind regards, Dean

      Delete