Sunday, March 18, 2018

Early Samurai Lion Rampant "Retinue" & Dragon Rampant Warband

I'm committed to attend a Lion Rampant/Dragon Rampant "tournament" game day this coming Saturday. Seeing how I like "shooty" armies, I'm planning to use my old Early Samurai figures which haven't seen the gaming table for quite some time. These are mostly TAG figures which I had painted many years ago and used a lot when I was playing WAB. I'm really looking forward to using them again with Lion/Dragon Rampant.
The 24 point "retinue" pictured above consists of two units of Mounted Serjeants with bows; a unit of Fierce Foot (the Sohei monks); and two units of Archers - one rated as Expert. Four of the five units are shooters - which allows them to attrite the enemy without coming into close contact - I hope!
The second picture shows some of the earlier figures along with the recently painted Oni as a 30 point Dragon Rampant warband - namely the "Men of the Far East." This warband is composed of two Heavy Rider units with mounted missiles; an Elite Foot unit with missiles; a unit of Heavy Foot rated as Offensive (the monks); and finally the Oni as a Lesser Warbeast with Spore attack. The monks are Kingsford minis and quite nicely sculpted.

There will be a total of five games for the tournament. The way the host, Socal Warhammer, has it set up is two Lion Rampant games in morning/early afternoon. A third game being the gamer's choice of either another Lion Rampant game or switching to Dragon Rampant. The last two games will be Dragon Rampant. This way the gamer can chose either three games of of either ruleset for a final three game score. I'll likely play three games of Lion Rampant as I don't plan on staying the night to finish the last two games. Until then, best wishes to all!

33 comments:

  1. Very nice warbands you have here Dean.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ross! Yes, these are some of my favorite minis. Best, Dean

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great day out, Enjoy the games and bring back a few photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most certainly will, Ray! Thanks as always, Dean

      Delete
  3. Excellent. Always good to see some veteran units getting out on the table again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robert. Yes,I think Lion Rampant will work well for these guys. Regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Great figures given a new lease of life, hope it all goes well at the tournament
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Steve. I hope the missile fire will balance out my usual bad dice rolls and tactics. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. My Sensei of the Samurai miniature way has returned from afar and back on the path to enlightenment.

    Show them the power of Bushido! Good luck and have fun taking heads... ahem, I mean gaming;)

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you very much for your well wishes, Kevin! Indeed you have steeled my resolve in the upcoming battles. My I return with my shield or upon it...um, wait wrong line...but you know what I mean. Lol! Kind regards, but

      Delete
  6. Oh excellent looking warbands Dean! I love historical and fantasy with Oni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal! Appreciate your kind words as always. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Phil! Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. These armies are remarkable - beautiful and killing 8)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much - you're too kind! Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Excellent work, thanks for sharing Dean. I haven't actually seen the TAG line painted up. I have been looking for some good Sohei figures to go with the Perry ones and these look like a good mix of poses.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jake. Both TAG and Kingsford make nice figures. The Kingsford range is later Sengoku period, so would compliment Perry well. Regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. That’s a beautifully painted force - I look forward to seeing how they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steven. I'll be pleased to win just one if my three games. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Good looking collection, Dean! Best of luck in your tournament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. I hope I don't get them slaughtered on all 3 games. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Lovely looking retinues, have fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. All the players are great folks who I've known for long time, so it should be a fun day. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. I'm not a competitive player by any stretch, but I do enjoy hanging out with the local gamers. Regards, Dean

      Delete
  14. That sounds like a great event, Dean! And better still to bring your beautiful collection out on the table for a day. Good luck and looking forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monty. Seems Lion /Dragon Rampant as popular here as Saga is in your neck of the woods. :) Kind regards, Dean

      Delete
  15. I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete