Friday, November 24, 2017

Napoleonic Collection in Review

Decided to dust the cabinet shelves and formed up the remaining Napoleonic figures in my collection for review. Earlier in the year, I sold off over half of my Napoleonic figures to local gamers. I ended up keeping most of the Victrix and Perry figures - mainly plastics. There are still enough figures for smallish games - possibly something along the lines of The Men Who Would Be Kings (although I've yet to get a copy of the rules). Here they are for a photo op, along with 120mm resin figures which were painted years ago (before getting into wargaming). The figures have been posted on this blog before, so pardon my indulgence.
As you can see,  only French and British troops remain, with a few Front Rank Spanish Freedom Fighters. My interest had been mainly Peninisular War - up to the Battle of Toulouse.
British: 5/60th and 95th Rifles (with a few Victrix Cacadores); 42nd and 79th Highlanders; 28th and 3rd Foot; RHA; and 1st KGL Hussars.
Front Rank Spaniards flanking the 95th and 5/60th Rifles; all in front of line battalions.
Command stands are mostly Victrix; the largest stand holds a Front Rank and an old North Star/Copplestone Hussar general. The limbers are Old Glory.
French Ligne and Legere battalions. The command stands are mostly Victrix with a few Front Rank; also a set of Foundry Napoleon and Staff. In the rear of them is a Marshal Ney figure from Gorgon, along with some Perry Retreat from Moscow figs.
Dragoons, 9th Hussars, Cuirassiers and Carabiniers; the cannon and crews are Sash & Saber; limber teams are Old Glory.
Mostly Verlinden 120mm resin figures. Left to right: Line Grenadier; Guard Foot Chasseur Sapper; Lieb Hussar; Guard Chasseur a Cheval; Trumpeter, Guard Artillery Train; Foot Dragoon; 1st Polish Lancers; 4th Swiss; Legere; Guard Grenadier.  An old 54mm Stadden lead figure painted up as a Baden Hussar in front of the Lancer. Apparently, I didn't have an appreciation for British troops at the time. Might've been due to their lack of variety in uniforms.

Anyway, it's a good time to dust the shelves - my significant other is out with her friends doing some Black Friday shopping. Cheers!

38 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Michal! Just collecting dust right now. Hopefully I will find some rules for them. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Wonderful miniatures

    Maybe you can use the 120mm figures like Napoleonic Titans from 40k?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!Thanks for the suggestion, Miles. Maybe someday. Best, Dean

      Delete
  3. Great collection! Glad these fine troops were saved from The Great Purge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks, Jonathan. I couldn't part with these..they were the first 28mm Napoleonics I painted, and hold a special place for me. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Where are you at? I got a copy of TMWWBK from being a playtester and I can send it to you if the postage makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in WA State, Cpt. Thank you so kindly for the offer, and sorry for not being clearer, but I can get the rules - only seeing if the author might release an official version for Napoleonics. I heard there was a "homebrew" version in a WI a while back. Best, Dean

      Delete
  5. Excellent stuff, and never an indulgence to display an army on parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Jake! Not only showing off the collection, but it is a nice way for me to inventory the troops should I get a chance to game them. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. A collection of superb! It is a pity that sometimes you have to part with the miniatures, so much time spent on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Dmitrii. The downsizing was nice - and what made the parting easier was that the figures went to local gamer buddies so hopefully get to see them on the table again someday. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Impressive collection Dean! You should give Sharp Practice 2 a go, it's great for smaller Napoleonic games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some nice reviews of SP2, Mike. That said, I'm holding out to see if Dan Mersey (Lion/Dragon Rampant) may release a version for Napoleonics. There was a version in a WI, but I'd like to see an "official" version :) Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you very kindly, Michael. Alas they've mostly been collecting dust, but someday they'll get on the gaming table again. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Very nice indeed Dean!! That's a lovely looking collection. More then enough figures to play Sharp Practice 2 as Cyrus mentioned which is a fantastic game. You could even play Black Powder which that as you have enough a few small brigades per side.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words and suggestion, Christopher. You're right, I could still use Black Powder - which is what they last were played with (many years ago). Unit sizes aren't specific. Although when I first started using BP, I thought units had to be large - like the Perrys' armies. Foolish me! Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  10. Great looking napoleonic force, I'm just getting going on mine, glad you didn't get rid of them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. Yes, I couldn't part with the Victrix plastics - the first ones I painted up in 28mm. The bayonets and muskets can be a bit brittle though. I broke one off yesterday during the cleaning. Glued back on okay though. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  11. Stunning and most impressive collection Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. I really like that they are plastics too - very light and easily transportable. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  12. Fabtastic collection despite being reduced in number its still looks incredible on the table top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Simon. Hopefully, these will be enough for skirmish scenarios. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  13. And that is only half ! Lovely collection...I just can’t sell anything it breaks my heart.😢

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. No regrets, as they are all with local gaming buddies, and hopefully will on the table more often than sitting on the shelf with me. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  14. Wow, now that's a collection! Great eye-candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Robert! Glad to have shared them. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  15. Dang it, it’s only when I don’t look for a few days that everyone posts on me. That’s still quite a nice collection you have. My Wife hates it when I get rid of stuff only to start collecting it again a few years later. So you’ll better understand when I say “well done Dean”!

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thanks for your kind sentiments, Kevin! Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  16. Always impressive to see your work, Dean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Aaron. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete