Sunday, October 8, 2017

Perry European Mercenaries - Talabheim, er...I mean Lübeck Pikes

This is the last of the three units to be built from the Perry European Infantry 1450-1500 'Mercenaries' box. These are again painted up in simple livery - red and white, which appears to have been a somewhat popular color combination, as not only the Holy Roman Empire city state of Lübeck wore them, but some Italian cities also.
The pikes are angled back so that they will clear the low profile drawer that they'll be stored and transported in.
Just 12 figures, enough for one more unit for Lion Rampant games, but they should add some color and flavor to the table. It would be neat if this set came with enough pikes for all 40 figures.
As these are pikemen, they all wear some type of body armor - plate, brigandine and padded jackets.
They pikes would be part of Edward IV's army for Barnet or Tewkesbury, and possibly in Henry Tudor's force as Frenchmen in a Bosworth scenario.
There are 4 leftover figures which I may use to flesh out artillery crews for a pair of cannon that I picked up at the Lion Rampant game day. My buddy Ron sold me, dirt cheap, two WotR cannon, but they only had a couple of crew each. He also threw in mounted WotR characters - less horses. Perry sells separate plastic WotR horses, so this will not be a problem if I get around to painting them.
The same livery being worn by kids at a local carnival.
Thanks for stopping by, and hope you all are enjoying the hobby!

24 comments:

  1. I like the over the shoulder position of pikes. You don’t see that often. They look good.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the approval, Kevin!

      Delete
    2. As if you needed my approval;) Most modeler's would have them at a 45 of lower to show them advancing to contact, nice pose, but if facing other pike blocks then you just might have a problem. So then the modeler would stand them straight up, the problem with this pose is that (if made of lead) you can bend the pikes by accident, or if you switch them out with metal ones, you chance impaling your hand (which to my chagrin I have done many times!!!). I never even thought of doing it this way, so my comment is that while different, I meant it to mean genius! As if you didn't know that already. When I do my next pike block this is how I am going to do them because I don't have problems with above mentioned, and it looks cool.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
    3. Lol! Again, you are most kind, Kevin! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. Fab brushwork, Dean! I like the red/white combination a lot. I imagine they could see service in many an army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jonathan. I have to admit I used the same colors for a WHFB Empire army in the past :) Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Lovely pikemen Dean! Good idea with angled pikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike. It appears ftom most of the comments that this pose is not so common. Works well with moving the figures too as it makes grabbing the stand easier. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Beautiful additions, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Phil. Now I should have enough units for a six-player game. Best Dean

      Delete
  5. Great looking unit. The marching or advancing look to them is certainly different to what is normally done. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice,as usual. The armour looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dan! I gave the armor a wash of black ink after highlights. This improved the finish, particularly the mail sleeves. Best regards, Dean

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Ah,thank you very much, Michal. Best regards as always, Dean

      Delete
  8. Great looking figures, really nice paint job, your cranking them out and they look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iain. I have two more cannon to work on,and then I plan to set up a table for a Bosworth scenario. Basically to see where to place troops. Warm regards, Dean

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you very kindly, Ray! Warm regards, Dean

      Delete