With the metal parts removed after cutting off the rivet/nails with a Dremel cutting tool.
Friday, April 8, 2016
Refurbishing a War Hammer - WIP
Started refurbishing a war hammer. It was only $45 (free shipping), and was put together by underpaid folks in India. So, although the parts themselves are pretty good, especially for the price, the overall craftsmanship was a bit lacking. The rivets were not lined up very well, and the spike was off center as well as the butt cap. I used a Dremel to cut off the ends of the rivets (actually really big nails), and pounded them out with a hammer and Phillips Head screw driver. I also wanted to remove the ugly dark brown stain/paint from the handle. I did some Googlin' and picked up some Citristrip to remove the stain/paint (I hope) - I'm waiting for it to do its work.
handle coated with Citristrip. I placed the handle in a plastic trash
bag to keep it from drying out too fast - another tip from YouTube.
Here it is before removing all the metal parts - you can't really tell from this image, but the spike and butt cap were not aligned with the handle. You can probably see that the dark brown stain/paint is pretty ugly though.
Well, just a quick update to keep this blog alive. Cheers!