Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Levy Bowmen for SAGA

Painted up some Wargames Factory Numidian Light Infantry as Levy Bowmen for a SAGA Viking Warband. They are pretty much as is from the box, except for the composite bows being straightened and shortened a bit. Most of the bare legs and arms were painted like they had long sleeves and trousers. I had used the other 12 figures as generic Ancient javelin men, and these can be used as generic Dark Age/Medieval bowmen. After a second, and very entertaining, SAGA game this past Saturday, I decided my Viking Warband needed bowmen that looked more the part of levies. I had used mail-clad Norman Bowmen that looked too "Warrior"-like.
Here are the 12 Levy bowmen out in front of the Warlord (w/uncounted musician), a unit of 8 Hearthguard, and two units of 8 Warriors. My buddy is giving me four Beserkers to round out a 6 point Warband. The two-handed axemen are Crusader figures that I've used for a WAB Norman army in the past.
Although I've only played two games of SAGA, I enjoy the rules and find the Battle Board system an ingenious way add a lot of variety to Warband factions. So much so, that my Norman opponent, luckily for me, forgot many of his special rules. My Vikings still got hammered, but it was a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to more SAGA games in the near future.

Here are the bowmen prior to Minwax staining and highlighting. Using the Minwax process, the initial painting is reminiscent of how I painted 1/72nd plastics in days gone by - and fun days they were!

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Viking Warlord and Dragon Ship Helmsman

This is a Crusader Miniatures figure from the Harold Godwinson set - he'll serve as a Viking warlord for the Dragon Ship, as well as for SAGA. Yes, I've been a bit taken with these rules along with many of the local crew here in Washington State.
This is the helmsman that came with the Old Glory Viking Ship set. I may add a pin to one of his feet and attach him permanently to the ship - currently he's on a washer.
Here are some close ups of the sail assembly that was scratch-built using a wooden dowel, bamboo stick, cloth and some thread.
Speaking of SAGA, we're having another go at it next weekend. I plan to use some of my existing figures from a Norman army for a Viking warband. The figures are actually Crusader Miniatures Saxons, but they will double as Vikings.

Added a few more photos with the ship based - now all I need to get is more ships and a game mat with 1.5 foot hexes.

Friday, November 9, 2012

Old Glory Viking Dragon Ship - Completed

Fashioned a mast out of a 1/4" dowel from Michael's; used a piece of bamboo stick for the crossbeam and a piece of cloth soaked with white glue for the sail.
The flash from the camera kind of washes out some of the colors - the red stripes on the sail are a bit darker in natural light.
I'm not a navy man so not sure how the sail would actually be rigged, but I used thread to tie the sail to the crossbeam. Thread was also used to cinch up the sail; the red strips were painted on prior to rolling it up.
Not sure if you can tell in the photos, but the oars don't line up with the rowers' hands that well, but they look okay overall though.
I'll try to take some more photos when the lighting is better - also need to add the helmsman and leader too.

Monday, November 5, 2012

Old Glory Viking Ship - WIP +1

Here are the rowing crew. Again, a stain of Minwax Tudor Satin over a block paint job - Testors Dullcote'd too.
I may add highlights to the clothing, but I wanted to show the results of just the stain and basic painting.
The crew were painted with basic colors already attached to their seats.
After staining and Dullcote.
Next up are the helmsman and leader, as well fabricating a mast and furled sail.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Old Glory Viking Dragon Ship - WIP

Here is a resin model that has been sitting in a box for several years now. It was ordered way back when, when I had an Old Glory Army membership. Anyway, it's one of those things you just have to get when you have the chance. It is a really nice model and figured I'd get it painted. Here it is Dullcote'd after a Minwax Tudor Satin stain over a basic finish.

The shields are basic patterns using only five colors: red, blue, green, white and yellow.
Prior to the stain, the ship itself was given two shades of light brown using a mixture of Vallejo Flat Yellow and Cadmium Red. I use those two colors in varying combinations for most wood and leather.
Here is the ship with shields and rowers attached. Since only basic patterns were used for the shields, they were painted after being glued to the ship.

The kit was missing the wooden dowels for the mast, but I should be able to find a replacement.