Sunday, September 20, 2026

Warlord Games Scots Lancers - WIP

Tried using a can of Army Painter Quickshade Dark Tone my buddy gave me yesterday at the Fort Steilacoom Fix Bayonets game day. This is the first time I've tried it, and it gives a more brownish shade versus a darker shade of Minwax Tudor Satin stain. I ended up using my trusty old can of Minwax instead of the Quickshade.

Here's a comparison picture of the two stains - Army Painter was used on the figure on the far left, the other two Minwax. It's hard to make out the difference in the photo, but the Army Painter has a brownish tone versus the darker tone of Minwax. I suppose, I might just be more used to the darker shading.
Here's a comparison shot of the contents in the cans - Army Painter Quickshade Dark Tone on the left, and my aged can of Minwax Tudor Satin Stain.
The figures before staining.
Next, a couple of pictures of my Imjin War naval game using "At The Height Of Battle" by David Manley, and MT Miniatures 1/1200th ships. Most of the ships used were formerly in David "I Live With Cats" Sullivan's collection (We all really miss David). The players all said they enjoyed the game, but we all agreed that a modification to crew casualties would benefit future games. Specifically, unless you triple the die roll results in combat or shooting, no additional casualties matter after the first one. As written, unless the die roll results as mentioned previously, casualties only affect boarding combat by reducing dice by half. We thought having combat dice reduced by one per each loss in combat or shooting might make it better for both sides.

I had to leave after running my game in the morning period, as my back was hurting - I pulled some back muscles a few days before. Nothing serious, just old man stuff - heck I sometimes pull my back out just stretching. Anyway, more to follow with this ECW project, but will soon be playtesting a long-awaited (by me and others), Hawaiian Tribal Game. Until then, thanks again for visiting and wishing you all the best!

14 comments:

  1. For me, photos like these are like a “knife to the heart.” I recently sold a set of Scottish lancers along with the entire unpainted Scottish army and the painted army of Oliver Cromwell. I thought there were too many armies for the 17th century and decided to stick to TYW. And now I’m wondering if I did the right thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the feeling, Alexey! Although I'm slowing rebuilding the ECW collection I sold to my buddy, there were a few units I wished I'd kept. Mainly the two dragoon units - there now very expensive! Kindest regards, Dean

      Delete
  2. That is one, well used can of Minwax! I get a much different result between Satin Tudor and Gloss Tudor. I am not sure if this universal or can specific. I much prefer satin but Tudor is becoming nearly impossible to find. Hope your back improves quickly. I am recovering from a back issue too. Getting old is not so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words as always, Jonathan. You're right about the stain being hard to find now. I wish I bought another can when it was only about $9 on Amazon a few years ago. They don't stock it anymore, and neither does Ace Hardware. Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Ray! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  4. Splendid work Dean, strangely I’ve just been painting some ECW cavalry but in a smaller ‘epic’ scale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt! The Epic figures look good in pictures, but they're too small for me to see and paint Lol! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  5. The lancers look great Dean and can't wait to see them with your "wash: over them - you always get a superb result from that process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much as always, Keith! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Richard! Warmest regards, Dean

      Delete